Friday, October 19, 2012

Ch 4 #3

A concept that I liked in this Chapter is the Direct Experience and False Memory. One example in the book that I found interesting was the participants watched a video of two cars colliding together. Then the participants will be asked how fast were the cars going when they smashed/collided/bumped/hit/contacted each other. Depending on which verb used, the answers would be different. If the verb made the accident sound more intense, the participant were more likely to say a high speed. The book also said that eye-witness identifications can be up to 50% wrong. That's a pretty big percent. I can understand how though, when we see something at one moment, we either remember it very clearly or forget about it. When either of them happen, either trying to keep remembering or trying to remember later, the memory of the event will be slightly altered. Another example in the book that I've also heard about in Psychology is when a memory is suggested, even when it never happen, some people will claim to remember the event vividly. For example if someone starts asking if the person has every been lost and keep on suggesting such an event happened, some people might claim they do remember. This is the false memory syndrome.

1 comment:

  1. I find this topic fascinating. It is every easy to forget a memory and to also believe something happened when someone says it did in fact occur. I remember my parents telling me stories about when I was a toddler. I can retell these stories as if it happened yesterday, even though I do not actually remember the event. Being told what occurred makes me think that I remember. Reading your post, it helped me realize that about my childhood memories and made me think, "which memories are real?", "did this really happen?". Quite weird, but very interesting. It shows us that we need to separate our direct experiences from the memories(stories) we were told.

    ReplyDelete