Saturday, September 15, 2012

Ch. 7 #3

A concept that I really liked this week was Evaluating Inductive Arguments Based on Analogies. Analogies are great way to help other people understand the argument even if they don't know what the subject of the argument is. When I describe historical events to my roommate, I use analogies to explain to her how a war happened or how why something happened. When I explained every's country relationship during World War II, I compare it to people and drama. I'd say something like, China doesn't like so and so because they did this and that so China became friends with Russia or I'd say something like Italy was friends with this group at first because they were the "cool" group but later found out they were cool anymore so Italy tried to get with the other group to get privileges in the end but ended up with nothing. By pretended these countries are people and what's happening is a high school drama, my roommate was able to understand the situation better.

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I often use analogies to explain things and make my points better understood. I am a first generation college student and a lot of things that are a part of college culture are completely foreign to my family. I often have to use analogies to compare things to something that is completely familiar to them. They are able to grasp the concept of what it is that I do at work, how it is that I take my classes, etc.

    -CesarCOMM41

    ReplyDelete