Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Chapter 6 #3

I like Boss's concept of asking the right questions. Boss had an example about a lost wallet. Instead of asking, "Who stole my wallet?" which sounds hostile, the person could ask, "Where is my wallet?" The second question is better because it doesn't as mean and people would respond better to that than the first question. If someone used something of mine in my house and I asked, "Who took my candy?" no one will want to tell me she did it, because I sound angry. If I asked in a nicer way, someone probably would have told me it was them because they are not worried about whether or not I'm mad.
By asking the right questions in an argument, I can have people say the answers I want. If I ask a question for the person I'm arguing with, it will either backfire on me or help me in the argument. I have listened to some Oxford style debates in high school and it's all about how you form your questions and statements in a way the other person ends up agreeing with you or is left speechless and unable to come up with an answer. Before I read Boss's concept on asking the right questions, I just thought the people doing these debates were really smart, and wished I could have debates and persuade as well as these people. I thought it was out of my league, but it really isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment